Administrator of the Year
The KSPA Administrator of the Year Award recognizes secondary school administrators who have stood up for the First Amendment and their students. The winner is honored at the State meeting in May following a presentation at the administrator’s home school district.
Recent Administrator of the Year winners include:
- 2011, Bill Anderson of Sterling High School
- 2012, Jack Koehn of Canton-Galva High School
- 2013, Charles McLean of Shawnee Mission West High School
Here are the five Administrator of the Year criteria:
- Supports the Kansas Student Publications Act and the First Amendment
- Provides adequate and appropriate financial support for student media
- Understands the importance of journalism’s place in a complete secondary school curriculum
- Encourages academic and professional growth, both for students and for journalism teachers
- Provides personal support and encouragement for students and journalism advisers
Information about the 2014 Administrator of the Year Award will be available in January 2014.