Congratulations to the students who provided hundreds of entries for the KSPA State Contests and won the awards below.
The contest would not be possible without the help of . . .
- Judges from all over the country
- Volunteers and judges from the University of Kansas William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- KSPA assistants Kerry Navinskey, Kailey Curtis and Raeley Youngs
- The KSPA board
- The advisers who helped to organize their students and all of the logistics for the contest.
If you believe that there has been a mistake in the reporting of results, please do not email our normal account or tweet at us. Please fill out this form. Thanks!
1A: Chase County Jr.-Sr. High School
2A: Humboldt High School
3A: Phillipsburg High School
4A: Chanute High School
5A: Kapaun Mr. Carmel Catholic High School
6A: Lawrence High School
Certificates, Entries and Rubrics
All materials from the State Contest (including certificates for winners, copies of the student entries in on-site contests and judging rubrics for digital and on-site contests) will be mailed after advisers and students have a chance to request corrections in KSPA results (see above). Any schools who have yet to pay membership or State Contest fees will have those materials withheld from mailing.
Information for a Press Release
If you are interested in showcasing the success of your students, consider using the document here to send to your principal, your school district or parents. Be sure to replace some of the bolded content as it is meant to be customized to your school.
2019 Simply Better Winners
Each year, KSPA publishes the winning entries from the State Contest to showcase the best journalism by member schools. The 2019 contest at the University of Kansas was split into two parts: digital submission contests and on-site contests.
The publication of Simply Better is available in this online gallery of images, designs and multimedia work. Prompts for the contest were distributed to member schools about one month before the deadline for digital submission contests. On-site contest participants did not know the topic for their writing or cartooning until they arrived at the contest and read their prompt.
On-Site Contest Winners
Click here for on-site contest winners in the following categories: Newspaper Sports Writing, Editorial Cartooning, Yearbook Copy Writing, Feature Writing, News Writing, Cutline Writing, Editorial Writing, Yearbook Sports Writing and Film Review.
Digital Submission Contest Winners
- Show All
- Academic Photos: 2019 State Contest Winners
- Advertising: 2019 State Contest Winners
- Headline Writing & Design: 2019 State Contest Winners
- Infographics: 2019 State Contest Winners
- News Page Design: 2019 State Contest Winners
- Photo Illustration: 2019 State Contest Winners
- Sports Photography: 2019 State Contest Winners
- Student Life Photography: 2019 State Contest Winners
- Yearbook Layout
- Yearbook Theme & Graphics: 2019 State Contest Winners
- FIRST PLACE: Chase County Jr./Sr. High School // Belinda Scoville, Landry Hinkson, Isabel Jones, Morgan Spinden
- SECOND PLACE: Humboldt High School // Zoey Rinehart, Marisha Collins, Emma Johnson, Riley Brown
- FIRST PLACE: Burlington High School // Jordan Torrez, Carson Beyer, Trinity Qualls, Megan Sayler
- SECOND PLACE: Phillipsburg High School // Ashley Babcock, Kyleigh Russell, Jordyn Wisinger, Kay Pakkebier
- THIRD PLACE: Chanute High School // Alyssa Andoyo, Addison Mallette, Tibernay Beal, Kelsey Goodner
- FIRST PLACE: Salina Central High School // Molly Michaelis, Miles Denning, Concha Campa, Gage Burmaster
- SECOND PLACE: Hays High School // Alicia Feyerherm, Allison Brooks
- THIRD PLACE: Mill Valley High School // Anna Owsley, Hunter Ristau, Katya Gillig, Abby Hoepner
- HONORABLE MENTION: Manhattan High School // Micheal Simmons, Kamryn Bussmann, Gabriel Jernigan, Duncan O’Brate
- HONORABLE MENTION: Lawrence High School // William Yanek, Anahita Hurt, David Obadare, Emily Kruse
- HONORABLE MENTION: Junction City High School // Morgan Deering, Lexe West, Elyse Nugyen
Online Photo Gallery
- FIRST PLACE: Humboldt High School // Taylor Beeman
- SECOND PLACE: Humboldt High School // Alex Melendez
- THIRD PLACE: Chase County Jr./Sr. High School // Madison Kinkaid
- HONORABLE MENTION: Chase County Jr./Sr. High School // Danae Reyer
- HONORABLE MENTION: Hill City High School // Mason Nichol
- HONORABLE MENTION: Sterling High School // Megan Roelfs
- FIRST PLACE: Phillipsburg High School // Ashlyn Cole
- SECOND PLACE: Phillipsburg High School // Meg Keeten
- THIRD PLACE: Chanute High School // Dustin Vargo
- FIRST PLACE: Mill Valley High School // Libby Mullican
- SECOND PLACE: Lawrence High School // Emily Kruse
- THIRD PLACE: Mill Valley High School // Abby White
- HONORABLE MENTION: Hays High School // Brooke Pflaum
- HONORABLE MENTION: Hays High School // Alyssa Underwood
- HONORABLE MENTION: Salina Central High School // Molly Michaelis
Film Review (points not included in Sweepstakes Competition)
- FIRST PLACE: Manhattan High School // Meredith Comas
- SECOND PLACE: Shawnee Mission West High School // Madison Abbott
- THIRD PLACE: Blue Valley High School // Claire Powell
- HONORABLE MENTION: Baldwin High School // Kayla Mountain
- HONORABLE MENTION: Kapaun Mt. Carmel Catholic High School // Natalie Knapp
- HONORABLE MENTION: Newton High School // Marco Aramburu
Advisers: If any of these are your students, please fill out this form and let us know what school they’re from. Thanks!