(785) 864-0605

Blog

NSPA director, SI photographer to speak at Fall Conferences (updated 9/21)

Logan Aimone, executive director of the National Scholastic Press Association, will address students and advisers at the Fall Conferences in Hays and Manhattan, on Sept. 21 and Sept. 22, respectively, and Sports Illustrated photographer Bill Frakes will deliver a featured address at the Lawrence conference on Sept. 23.

Aimone is in his second year NSPA, is the nation’s oldest and largest association of student media organizations. Since 1921, NSPA has provided training, evaluation and recognition to print and electronic student media at the middle school/junior high, high school and college levels.

From 1997 to 2007, Aimone taught journalism at Wenatchee (Wash.) High School and advised The Apple Leaf newspaper and Wa Wa yearbook, both of which earned top national honors. He is a past Dow Jones Newspaper Fund Distinguished Adviser and Washington state journalism adviser of the year. He is co-author of the 2009 edition of the textbook “High School Journalism,” and the forthcoming revision of “Junior High Journalism.”

Aimone earned a bachelor of arts and teacher certification from Central Washington University and a master of education from the University of Missouri–Columbia.

Sports Illustrated staff photographer Bill Frakes highlights the Sept. 23 Lawrence conference at the University of Kansas.

Bill Frakes is a Sports Illustrated Staff Photographer based in Florida. He has worked in more than 100 countries for a wide variety of editorial and advertising clients.

His advertising clients include Nike, CocaCola, Champion, Isleworth, Stryker, IBM, Nikon, Kodak, and Reebok. Editorially his work has appeared in virtually every major general interest publication in the world.

Bill won the coveted Newspaper Photographer of the Year award in the prestigious Pictures of the Year competition. He was a member of the Miami Herald staff that won the Pulitzer Prize for their coverage of Hurricane Andrew . He has also been honored by the Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Awards for reporting on the disadvantaged and by the Overseas Press club for distinguished foreign reporting. He was awarded the Gold Medal by World Press Photo. He has received hundreds of national and international awards for his work.

Bio courtesy of BillFrakes.com

Preview the schedules for all three conferences:

Three Fall Conferences

KSPA hosts three fall conferences, every year, at Fort Hays State, K-State in Manhattan, and at the University of Kansas in Lawrence. The final conference, this year in Lawrence, is set for Sept. 23.

Some of the other key speakers include Kansas Department of Education official R.J. Dake, KSA President Jim McCrossen, national Journalism Education Association secretary, faculty from FHSU, KSU and KU, and professional journalists

Every conference features dozens of learning opportunities for students and advisers. Registration for members is $13, and for non-members $15. You can download a copy of the registration form PDF or you can look for one in an e-mail soon.

You may also receive hard copies of all KSPA documents and forms. Just call KSPA at 785-864-0605 or e-mail [email protected] and ask for what you need. The student staff there will be happy to help.

If you’re not a member, but you want to take advantage of all member benefits, download this membership form, attach your payment, and send it to the address on the form.

Comments(3)

1. Brenda Day says

Great site and great ideas. Forms seem to be blocked by our filter. Have left a message asking the IT guy to unblock manually. Looking forward to conference.

• Jeff Browne says

Did you try to links to the right side?

If that doesn’t work, e-mail the staff at [email protected] and they can get you the forms.

Jeff

• rowdy says

All PDFs on the KSPA site are now accessed directly from our server. They are no longer accessed through Box.net. We hope this resolves any problems downloading the files.

If you have further trouble downloading any files, please e-mail us at [email protected].

Rowdy Wichman
      KSPA Webmaster

Post a comment

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop