The Kansas Scholastic Press Association in 2004 joined with the Douglas County Community Foundation to create the Jackie Engel Endowment Fund, which will be used for student and teacher scholarships and continued teacher training. It was named in honor of Jackie Engel, the long-time KSPA Executive Secretary. Jackie died in 2005. The Endowment now covers student and adviser scholarships, including the awards to the Kansas High School Journalists of the Year and the awards to both the Ad Astra and Sunflower Award winners. You may make a tax-deductible donation to the Jackie Engel Endowment by doing one of two things:
- Visit our Membership Registration Page and choose the Jackie Engel Donation at the bottom of the page.
- You may send a check (payable to the KSPA Jackie Engel Endowment) via U.S. Mail to: Jackie Engel Endowment Fund, c/0 KSPA, 1435 Jayhawk Blvd., Stauffer-Flint Hall Room 318, Lawrence, KS, 66045-7515. Include a letter that indicates your level of donation, your name, address and contact information (telephone and/or e-mail contact)
An nine-member independent board of directors heads the endowment fund and determines its focus and direction. The board meets annually in the fall. Please help ensure the future of Kansas student journalists and journalism teachers by donating to the Jackie Engel Endowment.
- Sunflower Society: $5,000 or more
- Presidents Club: $2,500 to $4,999
- Publishers: $1,000 to $2,499
- Directors: $500 to $999
- Advisers: $100 to $499
- Editors: $100 or less