(785) 864-0605

Blog

‘Amigos’ layout wins design contest for SM East students

Katie Kulaga and Gaby Thompson’s two-page news magazine spread depicting students’ summer volunteer  work in Honduras was judged Best in Show and won the Shawnee Mission East students the next-to-last Story of the Month contest, which focused on news publications design. The spread ran in The Harbinger, East’s award-winning student news magazine.

Judges applauded the duo’s use of color and how the scheme complemented the colors in the photographs. The “cool clothesline element” on page helped add to the overall theme without being too cute or cliched.

Other noted for excellence in the March contest included:

• Stephanie Roche of Blue Valley High School’s The Tiger Print for Newspaper Design; Roche’s timeline of BVHS’s 40-year history “organized lots of info” in a coherent and easy-to-access two-page spread.
  • Shanice Davis of Derby High School for News Magazine Design; Davis’s three-page news magazine spread for The Panther’s Tale that uses several photos to help tell the story of a band that started at DHS.
  • Ashley Lane of Shawnee Mission Northwest for Feature Design; Lane created a two-page package that incorporated photos, cutouts, infographics and text in a highly readable format for her news magazine, The Northwest Passage.
  • Shelby Ross of Washburn Rural’s The Blue Streak for Sports Package; Ross designed a single-page tabloid newspaper spread that told the story of the Lady Blues’ state championship volleyball season.
  • Nathaniel Zoschke Shawnee Mission North for Front-Page Design; Zoschke’s front-page design for The Mission included lot of information, including a one-year retrospective of President Obama’s first year in office.
  • Stephanie Spicer Shawnee Mission Northwest for Data Presentation; Spicer, with no photos to choose from, put together an intriguing mix of numbers, including calendars and other data that were both interesting and useful.

The final contest is for yearbook design, and the postmark deadline is April 30.

Post a comment

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop