(785) 864-0605

Blog

Mill Valley teacher wins 2010 Jackie Engel Award

Kathy Hill Habiger, the journalism adviser for Mill Valley High School, Shawnee, has won a prestigious journalism teaching award for 2010.

Habiger is this year’s recipient of Jackie Engel Award, sponsored by the Kansas Associated Collegiate Press and named in honor of Jackie Engel, a former journalism teacher at McPherson High School.  Engel devoted more than two decades to teaching journalism.  She and her students brought national recognition to Kansas high school journalism.

The award was created to honor the best high school journalism teacher in Kansas.

Habiger has advised the student newspaper, the JagWire, and the JAG, the school’s yearbook, for the last 10 years. The publications have received numerous state and national awards, including the Pacemaker and All-American status from the National Scholastic Press Association.

She previously taught at DeSoto High School for four years before her decade at Mill Valley.

Habiger was named a Master Journalism Educator and Distinguished Yearbook Adviser by the Journalism Education Association. She is currently the president of Journalism Educators of Metropolitan Kansas City.

In a nomination letter, fellow teacher Amy Morgan wrote, “Kathy is committed to teaching high school journalism, and her passion is apparent to everyone who knows her. She is energetic and enthusiastic, and her attitude is contagious. She sets high expectations for herself and her students, which is a key factor in the success of Mill Valley publications.”

Former student Joslyn Brown wrote, “The true value of Kathy Habiger is in the relationships she’s formed with her students. She made us believe in ourselves because she always did.”

Habiger will be honored at two ceremonies. The first will be at the KACP spring conference April 19 in Hutchinson. The second will be at the KSPA’s state conference May 1 in Lawrence.

Engel was the first recipient of the award in 1990. The complete list of winners includes:

• 1990 – Jackie Engel, McPherson High School
  • 1991 – Shirley Gabrielson, Wichita South High School
  • 1992 – Gaye Coburn, Wichita North High School
  • 1993 – Mary Ann (Siefkes) McCloud, Newton High School
  • 1994 – Carol Dreiling, McPherson High School
  • 1995 – Celia McDuff, Wichita Northwest High School
  • 1996 – Cindy Moore, Dodge City High School
  • 1997 – Susan Massy, Shawnee Mission Northwest High School
  • 1998 – Phyllis Wipf, Maize High School
  • 1999 – Linda Drake, Chase County
  • 2000 – June DeWeese, Chapman
  • 2001 – Becky Lucas, Shawnee Mission North High School
  • 2002 – Debra Feil, Lucas Luray
  • 2003 – Dot Stegman, Kapaun Mt. Carmel
  • 2004 – Barbara Padget, Topeka High School
  • 2005 – Allen Wilhite, Humboldt High School
  • 2006 – Cheryl Nelsen, Lawrence Free State High School
  • 2007 – C. Dow Tate, Shawnee Mission East High School
  • 2008 – Kollen Long, Bishop Carroll Catholic High School
  • 2009 – Sharon Martin, Wichita High School East
  • 2010 – Kathy Hill Habiger, Mill Valley High School

Post a comment

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop