(785) 864-0605

Blog

Salina South grad wins a Pulitzer Prize

Colleen McCain Nelson, 1992 graduate of Salina South High School, has won a 2010 Pulitzer Prize for her work as an editorial writer for the Dallas Morning News.

McCain Nelson, along with editorial colleagues Tod Robberson and William McKenzie, was awarded the Pulitzer for an ongoing series of editorials examining the social and economic disparities between the northern and southern parts of the Dallas area.

While at Salina South, McCain Nelson was editor of the Tripodium, the student newspaper, served on the Kansas Scholastic Press Association Student Board, and was named JEA Journalist of the Year runner-up.

She also testified at a Kansas Legislative Education Committee hearing which led to the passage of the Kansas Student Publications Act.

After serving as editor for the Kansas University Daily Kansan, McCain Nelson worked at the Wichita Eagle as well as the Fort Worth Star-Telegram before joining the staff of the Dallas Morning News in 2000.

“Colleen’s drive, intelligence and leadership skills set her apart from other students,” Sharon Martin, former Salina South journalism instructor, said. “Winning a Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Writing reflects her passion to speak for those who can not speak for themselves.”

Post a comment

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop