(785) 864-0605

Blog

Canton-Galva principal wins Administrator of the Year award

Canton-Galva Principal Jack Koehn has been named the 2012 KSPA Administrator of the Year because of his full understanding of the Kansas Student Publications Act and his proper application of the statute at his school.

In her nomination letter on behalf of Koehn, Canton-Galva journalism adviser Jessica Bowman describes an incident in 2010 when a mayor of a town in the school district demanded the principal stop publication of the student newspaper and force students to print a retraction of a monthly opinion column.

Bowman writes that Koehn supported both her and her students through the ordeal, all the while upholding the letter and spirit of the Kansas law.

“Jack has never tried to push prior review of our publications and has never once attempted any sort of limitation or form of censorship,” Bowman wrote. “In this matter, he has truly encouraged our students to make decisions and judgements concerning their own works.”

In addition to upholding Kansas law and providing moral support to students and faculty, Koehn has supported the Canton-Galva journalism program with needed resources.

“His support has kept me from personally having to dedicate large amounts of time and effort jumping through hoops solely for the sake of earning some extra funds,” Bowman wrote.

Koehn will be recognized by KSPA and deliver a short speech at the annual State Contest, scheduled for May 5 at the University of Kansas in Lawrence. The Awards Brunch begins at 9:30 a.m.

Post a comment

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop