Congratulations to the students who provided thousands of entries for the KSPA Regional Contests and won the awards below.
This year’s on-site Regional Contests were complicated by inclement weather during Feb. 21, 22 and 23. The regional contests at Emporia State University, Wichita State University and Kansas State University were all canceled. The remaining three regional sites were all missing at least one school from the contest as well.
With so many schools missing the on-site contests, advisers arranged for the contests to be proctored at their schools. We would like to thank the advisers to arranging all of the logistics within their schools to make this happen.
However, the KSPA office returned the results and critiques from the digital submission contest faster than ever before, and we are posting results March 9, one week after the receiving our final set of entries from schools who proctored their own contests.
With all of these complications, the contest would not be possible without the help of the regional hosts from each of our host universities. This year was particularly challenging for them as they coordinated the sending and receiving of entries plus judging. Please join the KSPA staff and board in thanking the following regional contest coordinators:
- Latisha Haag at Fort Hays State University
- Amy DeVault at Wichita State University
- Josh Letner at Pittsburg State University
- Kelly Glasscock and Kim Baltrip at Kansas State University
- Kristy Dekat at Emporia State University
We had help from over 100 judges from all over the country. They volunteered hours of time to provide accurate judging and some great feedback for students. Thanks so much to each of them.
And thank you to all KSPA member schools who participated! The Regional Contests are a key fundraiser, in addition to being a great educational tool and chance for competition.
Notes on this year’s contest results
Please keep in mind the following notes about this year’s regional contest:
- “No Award Given” is present for many slots in the results sheet. Judges can award First, Second and Third place, plus three Honorable Mentions. However, if there are not enough entries for that many awards or if the judge believes that entries do not merit the award, KSPA allows judges to not name an award winner.
- Emails sent last week provided feedback on the digital submission entries. Those emails listed Fourth, Fifth and Sixth place winners. Those places have been converted into Honorable Mentions here. All award winners — from first place to honorable mention — earn a chance to compete at the State Contest.
- Due to a software error, the awards for Wichita Northwest High School appear in two different regionals: the digital submission results appear in the Wichita Black regional while the on-site results appear in the Wichita Sunflower regional.
- Wabaunsee High School entries for the on-site contest were inadvertently judged in the 3A/4A classification despite Wabaunsee being a 1A/2A school.
If you believe that there has been a mistake in the reporting of results, please do not email. Instead, please fill out this form. All corrections must be logged by Friday, March 16 at noon. If corrections are not filed by that deadline, the incorrect information will appear on the certificate, and no replacement will be provided. Please file corrections for Contest V if one of the team member’s names is not included in the results. Thanks for your help in making our results as complete and accurate as possible.
- Fort Hays State University 1A/2A
- Kansas State University 1A/2A
- Wichita State University 1A/2A
- Emporia State University 3A/4A
- Fort Hays State University 3A/4A
- Kansas State University 3A/4A
- Pittsburg State University 3A/4A
- University of Kansas 3A/4A
- University of Kansas 5A/6A Blue
- University of Kansas 5A/6A Crimson
- Wichita State University 5A/6A Black
- Wichita State University 5A/6A Sunflower
Certificates, Entries and Rubrics
All materials from the Regional Contests (including certificates for winners, copies of the student entries in on-site contests and judging rubrics for digital and on-site contests) will be mailed after advisers and students have a chance to request corrections in KSPA results. Any schools who have yet to pay membership or Regional Contest fees will have those materials withheld.
Information for a press release
If you are interested in showcasing the success of your students, consider using the document here to send to your principal, your school district or parents. Be sure to replace some of the bolded content as it is meant to be customized to your school.