(785) 864-0605

Blog

Schedule for 2013 Fall Conference in Lawrence posted

8 a.m. —Kansas Union Fourth Floor

• Registration

8:45 a.m. to 9:10 a.m.

• Welcome, Awards and Opening Comments (Dean Ann Brill, KU journalism school; Kara Lynch, KSPA Interim Executive Director; Jim McCrossen, KSPA President) — Alderson Auditorium

9:10 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.

Keynote Speaker: Ron Johnson, the director of Student Media at Indiana University, 10 ways to improve your print design

• Pages looking dated? Working with old fonts and design furniture that doesn’t fit anymore? Does your grid need a shimmy? Join the six-time editor of the Best of Newspaper Design, and learn how you can make immediate improvements to your newspaper’s design.

9:55 a.m. to 10:40 a.m.:

KSPA Advisers Meeting with Jim McCrossen — Centennial Room

Don’t sweat the small stuff: How to deal wtih stress and get out alive! — Big XII Room

• Description: A fun session for advisers and staff members alike to learn some strategies and fun activities to deal with deadline stress and tension. Team-building activities to incorporate into your staff’s proceedings to create a positive and open atmosphere. Emily Smith, Pittsburg High School.
Keep it Between the Navigational Beacons — English Room
  • Description: Punctuation is the GPS for your readers. Let’s share some tips on using punctuation marks properly along with a few other ways to keep your writing on track. Cindy Horchem, Piper High School.

Social Journalism — Alderson Auditorium

• Description: Top 5-10 skills and tips for students to be better at using social media to find and tell great stories, and drive web traffic; how they can incorporate those skills into yearbook, newspaper, or school broadcast projects. Will showcase examples of good ways to reach an audience, bad examples of what not to do, etc. Josh Mabry, WIBW-TV.
Do You know your rights as a student journalist? — Pine Room
  • Description: What press rights do you have at your school? How do the Supreme Court cases affect you today? Do you have sources who ask to read a story before it’s printed? Learn or rediscover some free speech cases and how they affect public high school journalists. Brenna Scott, Washburn Rural High School.
Fundraising and Fun-How to raise money for your publications Spencer O’Daniel — International Room
  • Description: Learn how to create a fundraiser within your own school, get kids excited about it, and your faculty on board as well. Most importantly, how to have FUN doing it! Spencer O’Daniel, Wichita West High School.
How to Think Creatively Tim Bengston — Kansas Room
  • This presentation will focus on the kinds of things that successful creative people do to generate ideas. Topics include listening, observing, reading, incubating, and maintaining a journal. Real-world examples will be used in the presentation. Tim Bengston, William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
Writing for the 21st Century Reader Travis Feil — Parlor ABC Room
  • Description: Leading The Way (Beginning to Intermediate)
    Getting your story started can sometimes be the most difficult part of newswriting. This session will take a look at standard news (summary) leads using the 5 W’s as well as a more advanced approach using a narrative style. Additionally, quotes and attribution will be discussed, including punctuation, the use of indirect and direct quotes, and how to use quotes more effectively.Principles of Newspaper Design (Beginning to Intermediate)
    Packaging those finished stories and photographs into a visually appealing design can be a lot of fun, but it can be as equally frustrating and challenging. Starting with basic terminology and typography, this session will evolve into the discussion of a number of essential design principles that will help attract readers. Examples of effective design will be shown and discussed to provide students with ideas for their own newspapers. Bill Gasper, Hays High School.

Photo Editors Survival Guide — Jayhawk Room

• Examining ten topics to help smooth your job as a photo editor. These topics include lighting, portfolio tips, organization, etc. Brandon Smith and Hayden Parks, William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
Critique Session in Regionalist Room
KU J-School Tour — Ashley Angulano, meet in fifth floor lobby area.

10:50 a.m. to 11:35 a.m.:

Photo basics from iPhone to DSLR — Big XII Room

• Description: It’s not your equipment, it’s how you use it that’s important. Whether you use your phone or a really expensive digital SLR to cover your school, having a solid understanding of how the camera operates and how to use it will make your photos stronger. Jim McCrossen, Blue Valley Northwest.

Social Journalism — Alderson Auditorium

Design Inspiration — Kansas Room
  • Let’s look at design examples that just might lead us to yearbook design ideas. Becky Tate, Shawnee Mission North High School.
How to Create an Effective Ad — Centennial Room
  • Robert Basow, William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications.

Love the Law — English Room

• Description: Could you? Would you? Should you? These are all questions journalists need to be able to answer. We will walk you through your rights and responsibilities as a student journalist to help you understand the law. Amy Morgan, Shawnee Mission West High School; Kathy Habiger, Mill Valley High School.
Finding a Career in Sports — International Room
  • Description: Most high school journalism students are well aware of the career opportunities in sports writing and sports broadcasting. Few probably know the numerous other opportunities available to a person who loves sports. This session will introduce you to a few of them. Max Utsier, William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
Social Media 101 — Jayhawk Room
  • Description: Discover how to use social media to reach beyond the school walls. Topics include platform selection, branding, driving traffic to websites and selling books/fundraising. Abri Nelson, Pleasant Ridge High School.
Simplify Grading — Parlor ABC Room
  • Description: Simplify Grading: Prompt, quality feedback can be difficult to manage when you’re balancing deadlines. Learn how two advisers have automated processes to cut down on time spent grading while also improving the feedback they give students. We’ll explain how we use free tools in Google Docs to manage the process so we have more time to spend with our non-journalism kids. Barbara Tholen, Lawrence High School; Laurie Folsom, Lawrence Free State High School.
Top 11 Ways To Improve Your Photos Kathy Habiger — Kansas Room
  • Description:
Opinion Writing — Pine Room
  • Description: Why not present the Top 10 ways to improve your photography? Because my session goes to 11! Kathy Habiger, Mill Valley High School.
Are you my type? How to improve your life through better font management — Divine 9 Room
  • Description: Explore different typography and its uses. Learn to tweak your type to create more professional design. Add consistency by learning to use InDesign’s style palette. Susan Gray, Wichita High School Southeast.

Organized chaos — 1:1 in a multimedia classroom — Jayhawk Room

• Description: Life in a multimedia classroom can seem out of control to an outsider. There are steps that can be taken to organize the chaos. Learn how to utilize technology, the Internet, and various computer programs effectively in order to maintain a well-organized multimedia classroom. Kim Isbell and Anna Setter, Humboldt High School.

Yearbook Design for Smaller Schools — International Room

• Roger Sims, West Franklin High School
Critique Sessions in Ballroom and Regionalist Room

11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.:

Don’t Talk to the Press Mara Rose Williams — Big XII Room

• Description: I’d like to tell a few stories about the difficult assignments that news reporters find themselves in when trying to get the story. The knock on the door of a parent who just lost a child. Breaking out of the pack at a major happening (a media circus). Getting a child or mentally disabled person to open up and tell their story. It’s the art of the interview, and establishing trust in 5 mins or less. Mara Rose Williams, Kansas City Star.

Intro to Infographics: Creating infomative charts, sidebars and illustrations for any story Brendan Praeger — Centennial Room

• Description: It’s a depressing truth, but your readers are lazy. A 300-word story might as well be a faded copy of “War and Peace.” Learn how to bring the readers in using more than 20 types of charts, sidebars and illustrations. Brendan Praeger, Wabaunsee High School.
Why Video Is Important — English Room
  • Everyone involved in media should understand why video plays an important role in their content. Brett Akagi, Media Director and Content Strategist at the William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications.

Careers in Journalism — English Room

• Patty Noland, William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications.

Manual Mode Made Simple — Alderson Auditorium

• Description: This session is for everyone who is still shooting in auto mode. You CAN understand how shutter speed, aperture, and ISO work together to create story-telling images. And if you’ve tried to understand before and failed, this session is definitely for you. Travis Feil, Jostens.

Mob Reporting — International Room

• Description: Utilize your ENTIRE publications staff to cover one important event in an in-depth manner. Look at other schools’ examples. Don’t miss out on this new trend in journalism. Kristin Baker, Andover High School.

Social Media 101 — Jayhawk Room

Top 11 Ways to Improve Your Photos — Kansas Room

Chaos Control: Using Trello to Manage a Staff Barbara Tholen/Laurie Folsom — Parlor ABC Room
  • Description: Trello helps manage production cycles, grading a collaboration work better from the cloud. Hear from an adviser who has used this free online project management software for more than year to help her publications staffs nail down the moving parts of a production cycle. Laurie L Folsom, Lawrence Free State High School.

Opinion Writing — Pine Room

• Description: Learn the basics of editorial, column and review writing for multiple media outlets. BriAnne Chayer, Paola High School.

So, You’re Editor in Chief — Kansas Room

• Susan Massy, Shawnee Mission Northwest High School
Media Crossroads Tour (limit 18 people) — Media Crossroads
  • Cal Butcher, William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
Critiques in Ballroom and Regionalist Room

12:40 to 1:25 p.m.:

Hot Tips for Yearbook Design — Big XII Room

• Description: How many typefaces can you use on one spread? Where should you put photos? How do you use white space? This session will give you the answers. Carol Holstead, William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communcations.

Intro to Infographics: Creating informative charts, sidebars and illustrations for any story Brendan Praeger — Centennial Room

• Description: It’s a depressing truth, but your readers are lazy. A 300-word story might as well be a faded copy of “War and Peace.” Learn how to bring the readers in using more than 20 types of charts, sidebars and illustrations. Brendan Praeger, Wabaunsee High School.

Social Media 101 —Jayhawk Room

• Discover how to use social media to reach beyond the school walls. Topics include platform selection, branding, driving traffic to websites and selling books/fundraising. Abri Nelson, Pleasant Ridge High School.

Careers in Journalism — English Room

• Patty Noland, William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications.

The Power of Positivity — Alderson Auditorium

• Description: If you’ve ever had a conflict in your journalism room (and we all have), this session is for you. Come learn how negativity in a work environment measurably decreases efficiency and take home research-based, easily applicable methods to motivate and improve productivity. Travis Feil, Jostens.

Mob Reporting — International Room

• Description: Why not present the Top 10 ways to improve your photography? Because my session goes to 11! Kathy Habiger, Mill Valley High School.

Interviewing Techniques — Pine Room

• Roger Sims, West Franklin High School.

The Search for a New KSPA Director: Your Thoughts — Parlor ABC Room

• Jim McCrossen, Blue Valley Northwest and President of KSPA.

The conference ends at 1:25 p.m.

Post a comment

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop