Who may enter
Students must be in 6th through 9th grades and be enrolled at a Kansas middle school, junior high, or K-8 building. Advisers of entering students must be members of the Kansas Scholastic Press Association.
All Entries are electronically submitted. Each school may have up to 10 entries divided among the 4 contests as they see fit. Cost to enter ALL contests is $15 per school, payable by check to the Kansas Scholastic Press Association. Entries must be submitted electronically by April 15, 2022. All entries and awards will be judged and placed in mail by May 7 and in your hands by or before May 15. (If you need them sooner, let us know.) The $15 pays for return postage of certificates.
Please register at this website. Following your registration, you can use a credit card to pay online or you can mail a check to KSPA.
Send checks to (made out to “KSPA”)
KSPA, 1435 Jayhawk Boulevard, Lawrence KS 66045
Entries may be submitted electronically in the following categories:
PHOTOGRAPHY with caption
Entries may be either black and white or color. Students who enter this category should submit photos that have appeared in either the newspaper or yearbook within the last year. Photo submissions are digital.
Images need to be named as: [Student First Name Student Last Name_School Name]. (Example: Gina Miller_Mill Creek) A caption needs to be added to the application form. The image need not be cropped for competition in the same manner as it appeared in the publication. Judges will look for imaginative subject matter, technical quality, composition, visual impact, story told by photograph, simplicity, cropping, and lighting.
The feature should be approximately maximum of 350 words. It should be one that is appearing in a current yearbook, literary magazine, or newspaper or published within the last year.
Feature entries need to be submitted as PDF files with the completed entry form to [email protected]. Judges will look for attention-grabbing leads, feature style as opposed to news style, colorful details, use of direct quotes and anecdotes, reader appeal, accuracy, and completeness.
Entries must be student-designed and can be for yearbook, newspaper, or literary magazine. The layout should be one that is in the current year’s publication. Entries need to be emailed as PDF files to [email protected]
Judging will be for the layout only. Judges will look for clean layout, effective positioning of elements, evidence of consideration for readers, creative graphic approaches, and a sense of personality or style.
Broadcast may be video or audio on any topic uploaded to YouTube. Include a note on the entry form indicating the section to be judged if there is more than one. Accurately copy the YouTube URL in the entry form. Segments judged should not exceed 3 minutes. Judges will look for audio and visual clarity, use of colorful, clear details, reader appeal, accuracy, and completeness.
How to enter
- Register for the contest here.
- If you did not pay for the contest online with a credit card, mail your payment to KSPA, 1435 Jayhawk Boulevard, Lawrence KS 66045
- Complete an entry form for each entry you send. (Electronically, copy it as many times as you wish up to 10 entries.) It is acceptable to have a team of students create a story, layout, or broadcast. Names must be as they would like the certificate.
- Save the entry form named: [Student First Name Last Name_School Name] as a PDF Send the entry PDF file with each entry to [email protected]
- Entries MUST BE received by April 15 if you plan to get them back before school is out.
- You will receive back the following: all entries with positive, instructive, helpful critiques, certificates for those judged Honorable Mention, Excellent, and Superior
- If you have any questions, please contact Laura Hayden at [email protected]