(785) 864-0605

Blog

Derby North student earns 2019 Mary Patrick Aspiring Young Journalist Award

The Kansas Scholastic Press Association congratulates Derby North Middle School student Tayla Ahlf on winning the statewide honor of the 2019 Mary Patrick Aspiring Journalist Award. Half has served as yearbook editor, photo shoot manager and teacher aide.

The runner-up for the award is Miles Lindley from Chisolm Trail Middle School. Lindley served as editor of the school newspaper, was a member of the yearbook staff and produced a news broadcast. He also maintains an online photography site.

On May 4, Ahlf and Lindley will be recognized at KSPA’s state conference at the University of Kansas. Ahlf earns a scholarship to a summer journalism workshop in Kansas during her time in or before high school. Ahlf also has the opportunity to submit her application materials to the national conference.

Tayla Ahlf: Mary Patrick Aspiring Young Journalist Award

• School: Derby North Middle School
  • Adviser: Laura Hayden

Ahlf’s application showcases yearbook writing, photography and design.

The judges reviewed Ahlf’s application and gave her perfect scores in the areas she showcased in her portfolio. One judge even wrote that she would be excited to have Ahlf join her staff.

In her essay of application, Ahlf wrote about what being on the yearbook staff has taught her:

“Yearbook has taught me, most importantly, responsibility and leadership. I now know how to use technology, photography, journalistic and design techniques better than I did before. This class is the reason I know what I want to do with my future.”

The board and staff of KSPA congratulate Tayla Ahlf on her award-winning application and portfolio.

Miles Lindley: Mary Patrick Aspiring Young Journalist Award Runner-Up

• School: Chisolm Trail Middle School
  • Adviser: Samantha Collins

Lindley’s application showcases news writing, feature writing and broadcast work.

The judges reviewed Lindley’s application and provided these compliments:

• “The student’s acceptance into the e-Communication program [at Olathe Northwest High School] is i
    mpressive and shows skills and a commitment to journalism in the future.”
  • “The portfolio shows experience in working with a variety of journalistic platforms, including print, digital and broadcast.”

In his essay of application, Lindley wrote about his acceptance to the e-Communications academy program at Olathe Northwest High School:

“I am really looking forward to the academy in high school, and I also hope to go to college and get a degree in journalism/communications.”

The board and staff of KSPA congratulate Miles Lindley on his award-winning application and portfolio.

Post a comment

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop