(785) 864-0605

Blog

Former Kansas HS journalist of the year to speak at Statehouse Day

John Milburn, an Associated Press reporter based in Topeka, will be one of the featured speakers at the Statehouse Reporter for a Day event, Jan. 28 at the Capitol in Topeka.

(Jan. 15 is the last day to register your students for the free event. See details below.)

In 1986, Milburn — then a senior at Pittsburg High School and known by his initials “J.P.” — was named Kansas High School Journalist of the Year by the KSPA. Milburn served as the editor of the Booster, PHS’ newspaper, and worked in professional radio in Pittsburg.

After graduating from the University of Kansas with degrees in journalism and political science, Milburn worked as a reporter, news editor and copy editor at newspapers in Arkansas City, Pittsburg and Lawrence before moving to the AP in 1999. He has been at the Topeka bureau since 2001.

Joining Milburn at the 8:30 breakfast will be the AP’s John Hanna (a KU graduate who has been covering the legislature for 23 years), Scott Rothschild from the Lawrence Journal-World, and Tim Carpenter (a Kansas State University gradate) from the Topeka Capital-Journal.

Here’s the complete schedule of events:

•    8 a.m. Students arrive and check in outside Docking Auditorium.
•    8:30 a.m. Continental breakfast; Reporters’ Panel; KSPA Executive Director Jeff Browne outlines contest requirements and student expectations.
•    9:30 a.m. Students observe legislature in session.
•    10:30 a.m. Student press conference with elected officials.
•    11:30 a.m. Lunch in Docking Auditorium; speakers include First Lady Stacy Parkinson and Steve Kraske from KCUR and The Kansas City Star.
•    12:30 p.m. Students return to Capitol to interview hometown legislators, observe committee meetings, gather other information and images for stories.
•    2 p.m. Students dismissed to return home.

If you haven’t registered, there’s still time. Simply fill out this interactive PDF form and e-mail it [email protected] by the end of the day today, Jan. 15.

Post a comment

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop