Contest Y: Social Media
Student safety is KSPA’s first concern. Please do not put yourself or others in jeopardy of being infected with COVID-19 through your reporting for this contest. Please see ideas below on how to do your reporting online.
Students enter as individuals, in a team of no more than four students, OR as a staff. For instance, you can provide the credit of “Sunflower News Staff” upon submission to our digital submission system.
Students will submit the URLs for up to three different social media accounts that show their staff remaining active as journalists during the Kansas school closures.
Note: Because the web pages will be associated with your school social accounts, this contest can not be anonymous. Judges will be able to see the school for each entry by virtue of being on the school’s social media pages.
For this project, students may submit up to three links to social media pages that show their staff remaining active as journalists during the Kansas school closures due to COVID-19. This does not mean the students need to go out and cover/report on these stories. Students could be publicizing announcements by local/state/national officials and giving them context for readers. The staff might be relaying school news from administration and following up with their own reporting. Students might use phone interviews, online interviews, submitted photos or other reporting that can be gathered online.
We Repeat: Student safety is KSPA’s first concern. Please do not put yourself or others in jeopardy of being infected with COVID-19 through your completion of this contest.
This contest is meant to be completed as a student team.
Failure to follow these directions may result in disqualification from the contest without refund. Please read and follow carefully.
The 2020 State Contest will use Better Newspaper Contests (BNC), for submission.
- On April 1, the system opens for students to submit work.
- Digital submission entries will be due on Saturday, April 18 by 11 p.m. Central Time. (This is a change from the previously published date on the KSPA calendar.)
The entry must be uploaded to the KSPA online submission according to these specifications:
- Submit the URLs of the social media accounts (up to three) using the link below
- When you submit your link, you will provide the names of up to four students who created the coverage or the name of your staff (for instance, “Sunflower News Staff”)
- The entry must be uploaded by Saturday, April 18 by 11 p.m. Central Time
Failure to follow these requirements will result in disqualification.