2014 KSPA State Results
The 2014 State Journalism Sweepstakes winners include:
Class 1A: Doniphan West
Class 2A: Canton-Galva
Class 3A: Humboldt
Class 4A: Bonner Springs
Class 5A: Mill Valley
Class 6A: Lawrence
Students competed in 20 categories (11 carry-in contests involving graphic design, photography and videos, and nine on-site writing and editing categories). Sixty judges sifted through 1,400 entries and awarded first, second and third places, as well as three honorable mentions in Classes 1A/2A, 3A/4A and 5A/6A. Classes are separated only as a means of determining sweepstakes winners in each class, but not individual winners. Points were awarded for first place (5), second place (4), third place (3) and three honorable mentions (1) per contest in every class.
A full list of individuals winners by class will be updated soon.
Here are the counts by class and by school:
- Doniphan West 18, Saint Francis Community 13, Lincoln 13, Burrton 12, Satanta 1
- Canton-Galva 48, Chase County 41, Onaga 25, Ellis 21, Troy 20, Sterling 19, Skyline 19, Hill City 16, Kiowa County 14, Burlingame 12, Central Plains 6
- Beloit 1, Caney Valley 5, Chapman 4, Ellsworth 3, Hiawatha 4, Humboldt 34, Minneapolis 1, Neodesha 5, Norton 4, Phillipsburg 15, Rock Creek 11, Silver Lake 14, Southeast of Saline 5, The Independent School 1, Thomas More Prep Marian 10, West Franklin 3, Wichita Collegiate 1
- Andover Central 23, Baldwin 1, Bonner Springs 43, Burlington 6, Chanute 38, Circle 5, De Soto 13, El Dorado 4, Holton 12, Iola 1, Jefferson West 2, Louisburg 1, McPherson 8, Paola 3, Piper 5, Rose Hill 12, Smokey Valley 2
- Andover 16, Bishop Carroll 4, Blue Valley Southwest 4, Goddard 1, Hays 7, Kapaun Mt. Carmel 17, Mill Valley 25, Pittsburg 12, Salina Central 22, Salina High 1
- Blue Valley High 8, Blue Valley West 2, Blue Valley Northwest 18, Derby 2, Lawrence Free State 12, Lawrence High 19, Maize 2, Manhattan 2, Olathe Northwest 14, Olathe South 17, Shawnee Mission East 18, Shawnee Mission North 9, Shawnee Mission Northwest 12, Shawnee Mission South 15, Shawnee Mission West 9, Wichita East 18, Wichita Northwest 2, Wichita Southeast 4
The 2014 State Competition is scheduled for May 3, 2014 at the University of Kansas.
Please read the adviser letter for detailed information about the contest and a list of deadlines.
We will need to receive this fee form by April 29, and registration should be completed by April 25 for each contest and for each student using this form. This will take longer than registration in previous years but will help the state contest go more smoothly.
The state t-shirts will not be available for sale on site this year but instead can be ordered through booster.